Monday 19 October 2009

Hero for Hire. Unaffiliated.

2 convoys, a bodyguard mission and the annual convention circuit.

Not too bad if I say so myself.

There's a lot of competition in my line of work, so you have to bring something unique to the table to get noticed.

1 - I stay until the job is done.

2 - I only charge extra if my tech is damaged, and even then it's never the full repair fee.

3 - I work for free if it's my nemesis or if any related innocents die.

That always seems to work.

And it's not like some grandstanding supergroups I could mention who turn up, save the day and then stick around for the media. I go in, get it done, and leave - Of course, I don't spend any of the money they give me upfront until the job is done, that would just be in poor taste if I re-fit my lair or buy a quantum dis-integrator, and someone ends up dying.

That's the way I roll. That's the way "The Autocrat" rolls.

I'm not opposed to team ups. Just ones with the big 3 teams.

The "Action Men" are a bunch of chauvinistic assholes. "The New Breed" are elitist kids, but their faces sell lunchboxes and t-shirts. Kids these days don't know who the real heroes are.

And then there's the "Friends of Justice". Bullshitters. All they care about is the fame and fortune. Oh sure, they save the world now and again but are they humble? No! They know how strong they are and flaunt it. It isn't even subtle.

It's people like "The Middle Men" and "The Open Rangers" - guys out there actually helping their communities and country. Hell, Gal-a-Tear, the Ranger's emotopath went out to Afghanistan. Poor girl came back in a coffin, but she got a state funeral - all the trimmings.

Not to mention the incident at the wake. Fuckin' Friction - the FoJ second-in-command, trying to say to some network about how they were close, like best friends. I overhear this and the conversation starts.

Hey, Friction.

Excuse me?! I'm in the middle of an interview.

I can see that. Tell me something.

What?

What was Gal's real name?

...Wha-

Her name - since you two were so close. I'm sure you'd be able to tell me.

Uh... I gotta-

No, you don't.

No, I really do.

Fuckin' speeders - too fast for their own good. They don't even think.

So, obviously, I get a little roughed up later by Friction and "The Dude". How is that even a name, at least the faggot Friction actually tried to make a good sounding name.

I was drunk, so sue me. I whipped out a man trap from my belt, Dude loses a finger or two. I'm blacklisted by the A listers.

Donovan of the Rangers thanked me. He's an honest guy. He hates the golden boys of America just as much as I do.

I'm doing the convoy in Texas with them. Need to pack actually.

Then there's the conventions. Every hero below "A" goes to those things. Supercon, Capecon and Powercon - those are the big 3.

Hope I see Ms. Demeter again. Damn, she was diggin' me.

No comments:

Post a Comment